Tuesday, December 30, 2008

End of the year

So 2008 is pretty much in the books. I probably won't get out for any more poker this year. I played the poker almost as a part-time job this year, almost 1k hours, the most I've ever put in one year. Mostly because my wife spent quite a bit of time away from home with the kids, giving me like a solid two months of being a bachelor, allowing me to put in lots of hours.

From my charts, you can see that I have some very wild swings. I've come to realize that I have a very high variance style, I really like to push small edges whenever I can. I think that if I can plug some small leaks, and ratchet up my value betting, along with making some good river folds, and possibly not always making the high variance play, I think I can kick my game into the next gear. When I am running good, I seem to run like a god, but when I run bad, it's not pretty. Plus there were some stretches of like 5 or 6 sessions, where I know that I played bad and played too late into the night. Keeping focused on the goal at hand, and playing your best poker game is tough 100% of the time. I have a lot of respect for professional grinders who somehow grind out a living doing this day after day, knowing that they need to win.

In any case I had another winning year at poker, and for something that I take as just a serious hobby, it's nice that it pays me as opposed to the other way around.

Here are the charts:


No comments: